The following list was composed by my readers and blogging buddies. Give yourself 1 point for each item that applies to you and total your score at the bottom.
This list proved to me both that I am not the only weird one out there AND that some people are way crunchier than me. Proceed at your own risk… there is some crazy stuff on this list!
You might be CRUNCHY if…
- You refuse to eat the homemade, organic, locally sourced granola in the glass jar because it has a PLASTIC LID.
- You’ve given up tampons.
- You are constantly making changes and reading articles about food.
- You’ve given birth in a bath tub… on purpose.
- Your “medicine cabinet” is full of EOs and herbs.
- You know what family cloth is.
- You’ve tried No Poo.
- You make your own deodorant, toothpaste, body butter or shampoo.
- You make any DIY body care products
- You take yard eggs and raw milk with you when you go on vacation.
- When people give you birthday gifts, they wrap them in reusable shopping bags.
- They just give you reusable bags.
- You drink that kombucha that you left a little too long and is a little too strong because, darn it, you put the effort into making it.
- When someone is bleeding you run to the spice cabinet for cayenne or turmeric.
- When you constantly look at plants wherever you are to see what jewel could be harvested.
- You won’t put anything on your body you wouldn’t eat.
- You squirt breast milk in your kids eye to clean an eye infection.
- You know what tandem nursing is.
- Your bathroom shelves are full of kitchen ingredients (bonus if you know what oil cleansing is!!!).
- You voluntarily put solid, gunky coconut oil in your mouth and swish for 20 minutes every morning while using hand gestures to communicate with your family as to WHY you can’t talk (yet, they CONTINUE to engage in conversation with you – every single day).
- You use patchouli or other essential oils instead of perfume.
- Your two year old asks for a “towel” when things get messy at meal time, because he has no idea what a paper towel is.
- You have cabinets devoted to mason jars.
- You aren’t afraid of your raw milk going bad, because you have a list of things to do with it.
- Your pantry has no boxes, just jars, bags and bins of ingredients.
- Your answer to every ailment is coconut oil, breastmilk, garlic or apple cider vinegar.
- When conversation slows down at a dinner party, you show off your latest ferments and tell people what a scoby is (whether they asked or not).
- Your most recent online purchase included any of the following: kefir grains, bentonite clay, tumeric root, beeswax pellets, yogurt starter, cheese making kits, coconut oil, grass-fed gelatin or sea salt.
- You brush your dogs teeth with coconut oil, and give them bone broth with their grass-fed beef raw food.
- Friends and family call you witch doctor, forest fairy, tree hugger, shaman, Dr Jones, and texts you pictures of chicken feet (crunchy porn?). Even your doctor says you’ve earned an honorary MD.
- You tell your child “No fermented cod liver oil until you finish your dinner!”
- You eat and use coconut oil at EVERY opportunity.
- Your kids not only regularly and loudly judge other people’s grocery choices (one of the challenges of raising healthy kids).
- Your kids are always screaming at you for either raw milk, water kefir, or kombucha and every single bath of theirs they request Epsom salts, Bentonite or a combo of both.
- Your counters look a little like a science lab because of all the things you are fermenting.
- You know how to properly prepare your grains (if you even eat grains at all).
- You know your local farmer or are part of a co-op.
- You are a ingredient list detective.
- You compost, garden or own any farm animals.
- You use cloth diapers. Or you would use cloth diapers if you had kids.
- You know the definitions grass-fed, free range, pastured, organic and cage free.
- You are so over anything fat free.
- You have rendered lard.
- You know what soap nuts are and how to use them.
- Your favorite snacks contain either grass fed gelatin or coconut oil.
- You know how to make bone broth or stock and have done it recently.
- You have ever asked the butcher or farmer for “spare parts”.
- Your kids recognize obscure vegetables (but grocery store clerks don’t).
- You know who Weston A Price is.
- You debate yourself before every birthday party whether to make your guests the food your usually eat.
If you scored:
0 – 5 …you are pretty mainstream. Normal. Not much crunch.
6 – 20 …you dabble in crunchiness. You have gotten your toes wet. But a lot of the things on that list still kind of freak you out. But make you curious at the same time. Be careful, it’s easy to get sucked in!
20 – 40 …you are pretty crunchy. People around you have probably started to notice, even if you don’t know it yet. You may even feel relieved that you didn’t fall into the highest score category (there was some crazy on that list you wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole), but don’t be fooled. Crunchiness is like a disease and is only likely to increase. I’m sorry to say, it’s coming for you.
40 or above! WOW! You might be crunchier than me! You spend a lot of your time and energy making conscious choices about what you eat, have in your home and put on your body! That’s amazing! Be careful of scaring people off or judging their lifestyle choices. Not everyone can be as awesome as you. Not even your spouse (check out my post on un-crunchy husbands). Cheers (raises glass of raw milk… or local, GMO free craft beer… or organic wine)!
Tell me in the comments what your score was or which # you related to the most!
If you enjoyed this quiz, come take the You might have crunchy kids if… quiz and see how crunchy your kids are. I have to admit, my kids got a much lower score than I expected!
I will also post the scores of my crunchy blogger friends here at the end of the post so you can see which bloggers match your score and check them out!
MY score Kirsten of Cheerfully Imperfect was 43. Wowsers.
Kristen Ethridge – Author & Real Time Mama scored 40!!!
Caretactics got a 23, but claims her score would be higher if she had kids.
Like a Normal Person scored 28, and also says it would be higher with kids.
Good Girl Gone Green scored 45 and she doesn’t even drink milk or eat meat!!!
Mix Wellness scored a whopping 40. Oh my.
Thrive Style scored 25, but when she has her baby she promises it will go up.
Oh Lardy got a score of 29. It’s those amazing backyard chickens!
Coco’s Well scored 35. Not bad, crunchy, but not crazy!
Naturally Persnickety Mom surprised herself and scored a 39!
If taking this quiz inspired you to get even crunchier, check out my marketplace for the best places to buy crunchy essentials like quality coconut oil, epsom salts, fermentation starters, soap nuts and fermented cod liver oil!
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.
DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor and the statements on this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA. Any products or techniques mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. I am just a mom who shares what works for me!