After fulfilling our dream of traveling across the US and Canada with our 5 kids, we are finally saying goodbye to our beloved bus. We lived in the bus full-time for 18 months and had so many adventures. But now that the kids are getting older (and bigger) we have new plans in the works. We hope this bus can help someone else chase their dreams.
She loves going off grid and soaking up sunshine. She isn’t afraid to go off the beaten path or take the road less traveled. She loves driving right onto the beach, snuggling up in the woods or stretching out in the desert.
She has the versatility of solar power for staying off-grid or plugging in when at an RV park. She loves waking up with a new view and being able to go anywhere and still be at home.
She sleeps 6 full lengthen humans and has a short couch in the front living area that can accommodate a shorter human. She has a roomy kitchen for home cooked meals and two living areas to give everyone lots of space to hang out. She has undercarriage storage to accommodate extra toys and adventure gear, as well as a bike rack on front.
She isn’t perfect. But, she is quirky, has lots of personality and she is cozy, beautiful and loves adventure!
Here’s a video tour to give you a sense of the inside:
We spent a year converting the bus into a tiny house and purposely chose high quality materials and didn’t cut any corners. You can see the whole process on our youtube channel from start to finish and photos of the process here. Personally, I think it’s really cool to watch the conversion take place. You can really feel confident in knowing everything about how the bus was built.
In June of 2017 we sold everything we owned, moved in and hit the road! We traveled up to the Yukon Territories and then down the West Coast ending the year with Christmas in California.
In 2018, we spent some time in the desert in Arizona before going back to Texas for Spring. When summer came we headed North to Michigan then hugged the Great Lakes and made our way East and North to Maine. We spent the summer exploring lakes and rivers before heading south to Georgia where we appeared in an episode of Wife Swap. You can watch a short clip of the bus as it appeared in that show in 2018:
- 1997 Thomas MVP Thomas Saf-T-Liner, flat nose transit style, rear engine.
- Mileage: The bus has 291,445 miles, but the engine only has 140,556
- Sleeps 7
- Queen Bed in back
- 2 sets of bunk beds (sleeps 4)
- Couch in front can sleep small human
- Summit 20 inch gas range with oven and broiler
- Norcold NXA841 flush mount 2-way fridge
- Ikea stainless steel sink
- Custom built composting toilet with fan and vent
- Jensen AWM968 Bluetooth Stereo with Focal speaker in front and rear of bus.
- Boos natural butcher block counter tops
- Ikea kitchen cabinet system
- 2 wall mounted fire extinguishers and one large fire extinguisher under the front couch
- 4 External lockable storage boxes
- Allen Sports 5-Bike Hitch Rack on front bumper
- Storage under all the couches
- Storage under bunk
- Storage under master bed
Engine / Drivetrain:
- Cummins 5.9 12v 6BT
- Rear pusher
- Allison Transmission
- Hercules H-702 Tires 3 years old have less than 20K miles
- backup camera
- Legacy Leather air ride drivers seat
- Offroad LED Floodlights in the front and back
- Air hose adapter on air tanks (can use to fill up tires or blow up rafts)
- 50 AMP service with 25’ cable
- 6 Vmaxtanks AGM 12v 155ah Deep Cycle Batterys in 24v system
- Aims 6000 Watt 24V Pure Sine Wave Inverter
- MidNite Solar Classic 150 SL MPPT Solar Charge Controller
- 720 Watts of solar panels on platform that tilts
- LED lighting
- Standard 120 receptacles and 12v usb plugs throughout the bus
Heating and Cooling:
- 2 of Dometic B59516.XX1C0 Brisk II Polar White Air Conditioner (15,000 BTU 410A)
- 3 Fan-Tastic Vent 1250 Series Vent
- 3 Fan-Tastic Vent UB1500WH White Ultra Breeze Vent Cover
- 90 Gallon internal fresh water tank
- 80 Gallon external gray water tank
- Alpha Systems 22″ x 54″ x 8″ Holding Tank
- City water inlet
- SHURflo 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump
- SHURflo 182-200 Pre-Pressurized Accumulator Tank
- Standard RV dump
- Seelevell II digital tank monitor
- Outdoor shower
- Excel tankless vent free hot water heater
- Woder 10K-GenII Ultra High Capacity Direct Connect Water Filtration System
- Two 20lbs tanks (easily removed for refill)
- All propane lines installed by a professional plumber
- MARSH EXCEL MEGR253 Auto Change Over Regulator
- No interior shower. There is space and plumbing for one, but it has not been installed. Currently the space has shelves and is being used for storage.
- Small air leak. Not enough to fail a safety check, but causes the air compressor to run more than it should.
- Pinion seal that probably needs to be replaced.
- One stove burner and oven not fully converted from natural gas too propane.
- As the engine is an old diesel, it has slow leaks requiring fluid to be topped off every 6 months or so (note ALL old buses leak)
- The paint is faded, and peeling in a few places. Needs a fresh coat of paint
- Front couch does not have cushions, and bunk beds do not have mattresses
- Front windshield has a couple cracks
- $5,000 warranty for the first six months (we will reimburse up to $5k for any engine, transmission, electrical, plumbing, hvac, or propane issues).
- We are located in Arlington, Texas
- More detailed maintenance and engine info here.
She will be perfect either for full time travel, summer getaways or to park and live in as a tiny home. Whatever helps you chase YOUR dream. Please email cheerfullyimperfect at gmail.com if you are interested in seeing the bus or want more information.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.
DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor and the statements on this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA. Any products or techniques mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. I am just a mom who shares what works for me!