5 Simple Steps to a Non-Toxic Home
There are chemicals lurking everywhere. So much so, that it may seem like an impossible task to get them out of our homes. While we can’t eliminate them completely, there are a lot of things we CAN do to reduce our exposure to common chemicals, many of which are linked to cancer and other deadly diseases. Here are my 5 simple steps to a non-toxic home:
- Eat Real Food and practice Mindful Eating. Food that comes in pre-packaged boxes is usually loaded with chemicals, preservatives and substances that aren’t actually food at all. This is the number one way we can heal or kill (albeit slowly) ourselves. Not sure where to begin? Here is my post on how to get started with real food.
- While we are in the kitchen, let’s talk about food packaging and cookware. Most of our food from the grocery store comes in plastics that are full of chemicals. These aren’t just sitting there inert and inactive. They are absorbing into our foods and then when we eat the foods, into our bodies. Consider this when you shop and whenever possible, buy foods in their whole, raw forms. To learn more about packaging and toxic chemicals, read this.
- Consider making easy DIY cleaners and household products that use natural ingredients. For example, this DIY Fabric Softener only has 3 ingredients and works like a charm. You would be shocked how easy it is to make safe, effective cleaners that REALLY work… and won’t give you cancer…
- Consider collecting some holistic wellness supplies like essential oils. I find essential oils to work incredibly well in helping my family stay well and when we DO catch something we get better much faster when we use them. Plus they don’t have a long list of nasty side effects. I use them with my kids, husband and pets. Want a quick explanation of how they work? My short video explains it here. Just make sure you are using truly good quality, therapeutic grade essential oils, which cannot be found in most health food and grocery stores (this is where I get my essential oils wholesale).
- Consider getting an air filter and a water filter. Imagine a fish swimming in a nasty, polluted tank of water. Even if he is eating good food, his environment is toxic. That is what it is like if you are breathing polluted air and drinking chemical laden water.
Don’t try to do all of these all at once!!!
Pick one of these 5 simple steps to a non-toxic home and just focus on one. Fix that area of your home life and invest on whatever you need to and make it a habit. Once you have mastered on area, move on to another. Start with whatever you think is the highest priority, because it will make the most measurable difference! Questions? Comments? You know I want to hear them!
Photo courtesy of olovedog via freedigitalphotos.org
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.
DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor and the statements on this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA. Any products or techniques mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. I am just a mom who shares what works for me!